KMET is an indigenous NGO registered in Kenya since 1995 and based in Kisumu with presence in 37 Counties. KMET envisions communities with accessible, quality, sustainable reproductive health information and services that promote human rights. The mission is to promote sustainable development among underserved communities through innovative health and education programs. KMET prides in making deliberate efforts to come up with health innovations targeting underserved communities in both the private and public health sectors within the laid policy frameworks.
About the Position
KMET is recruiting a dynamic and experienced Head of Programs to oversee our growing programs while providing leadership and strategic direction. The incumbent will deputize the Executive Director and play a key role at the Senior Management level, external representation, and responsibility for new business development.
They will bring substantial technical leadership, experience, and industry knowledge in the field of health systems strengthening community engagement and advocacy. The ideal candidate should be a hands-on manager, enthusiastic to shape the growth of a local organization in realization of its strategic plan 2021-2025.
This is a full-time contractual position to be located in Kisumu. Reporting to the Executive Director with supervisory roles. Consultants may also be considered.
- Program Management (40%)
- As the Programs Manager you will be responsible for managing the programmatic aspects of, working collaboratively with staff and partners to design, implement, and monitor, and evaluate its interventions to ensure the achievement of program objectives.
- Oversee programmatic functions, i.e., development of work plans, budgets, quarterly/annual reports, and ensure effective implementation of program strategy with integrated lessons and best practices.
- Maintain effective and open communication throughout the project with the Executive director (ED), funders, project team leaders, objective/thematic leads, project operations teams, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Collaborate with different stakeholders to foster country/county-driven, inclusive, locally relevant strategies to improve on outcomes and impact.
- Lead and/or review and monitor programmatic functions, i.e., development of work plans, budgets and quarterly/annual reports and ensure effective implementation of program strategy as articulated in the work plan.
- Collaborate with the Operations Manager to identify program opportunities and ensure effective staff/talent deployment.
- Work with MEL team to prepare and submit project-related reports, including presentations and write papers.
- Provide analytical and evaluative techniques to identify, consider, and resolve issues or problems.
- Supervise Heads of Departments/Coordinators
2. Strategy and Development of New Business (40%)
- Lead the design and execution of new projects, including building relationships and proposal development
- Lead the development of project proposals and budgets to meet the annual income/fundraising targets
- Ensure Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks are developed for each program and implemented.
- Collaborate with Operations Manager to ensure all programs are in compliance with donor contractual obligations.
3. Leadership (20%)
- Sitting in the Senior Management, the Deputy Director shall provide support to the director with strategic leadership and oversight to the activities.
- Manage all programmatic elements, collaborating closely with senior leadership and relevant stakeholders to continuously reflect on activity progress, refining strategy, and applying evidence-based lessons learnt to effectively implement workplans and achieve technical objectives
- Oversee technical delivery of grants under contract. Ensure grant-funded interventions are aligned with and deliver on the technical objectives of the activities with adequate technical assistance. Supervise program staff in carrying out the full grants cycle, from solicitation to closeout.
- Serves as acting director in the absence of the ED.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Director
- Masters in Medicine, Health economics or public health with at least 15 years of relevant experience at a senior management level; (PhD Qualification will be an added advantage).
- Experience in managing donor-funded projects with a focus on knowledge and expertise in program development, and oversight at a senior level.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in writing proposals, work-plans, budgets, managing implementation, with Knowledge of various donor policies, procedures, and reporting requirements.
- Strong writer with an established track record of preparing high-quality funded proposals and reports. Evidence will be required at the time of interview.
- Experience with donors, contractors, international and local NGOs in a relevant sector.
- Demonstrated Financial management experience (including budgeting) and knowledge in establishing systems and overseeing program start-up.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Program Management systems, utilizing them for data management, analysis, and reporting purposes.
- Substantive expertise in engaging stakeholders/public sector, community, health systems, health financing, Reproductive health work with a development agency, NGO, or government sector.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders and orientations as well as across work areas; with government relations skills.
Desired Personal Attributes:
- Consistent and resilient and works strategically and collaboratively with subcounty, county-level governments, national government civil society organizations, and private sector entities.
- Must demonstrate commitment to market-led, private sector engagement approaches.
- Excellent managerial, preferably in managing large projects involving coordination with multiple implementing partners or institutions in Kenya or the region, and sub-recipient / complex partnering relationships.
- S/he shall have depth and breadth of technical expertise and experience, a solid professional reputation, interpersonal skills, professional relationships, and close working relationships with key stakeholders in Kenya.
- Visionary and strategic leadership- able to inspire and rally a team around a shared vision;
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving capabilities; Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, and can live up to KMET values.
NOTE: This job description summarizes the major responsibilities performed by this role. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job. Because of safeguarding, KMET selection process include background checks.
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements, please send a Copy of your recent CV and a Cover Letter to the email: email@example.com.
Quote ‘’Programs Director” in the Email as subject to reach us by August 31, 2023, close of business.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. KMET is an equal opportunity employer!