Reporting To: Executive Director, based in Kisumu
Liaising with: Options and other Safire consortium members
Location: Kisumu with regular field travels
Reporting Date: Immediately
Remuneration: Kes. 300,000 p.m. inclusive of benefits
KMET is an indigenous NGO registered in Kenya and based in Kisumu with presence in 34 Counties since 1995. KMET envisions communities with accessible quality, sustainable RH and education information and services that promote human rights. The mission is to promote sustainable development among underserved communities through innovative health and education programs. KMET has made deliberate efforts to come up with health innovations targeting underserved communities in both the private and public health sectors within the laid policy frameworks.
About the SAFIRE Program
Supporting Access for Adolescents to Integrated Sexual and Reproductive Health Services (Safire) is a five-year program (2018–2022) which aims to reduce morbidity and mortality associated with unintended pregnancies among girls (10 - 19 years of age) in Kenya and Nigeria. It will achieve this by improving girls’ access to quality Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) information and services in the private sector, addressing community barriers through stigma reduction and community referrals, and using existing technology such as social media and hotlines. The integrated Safire model comprise of three key work streams: Information Pathways for Girls, Community Engagement, and Quality Services.
In Kenya, the program is implemented in Bungoma, Uasin Gishu and Kiambu counties by a consortium consisting of Options Consultancy Services (Options) as the lead, KMET and Triggerise (in Bungoma only) (“Partners”). KMET is responsible for leading the delivery of the Quality of Services work stream in Kenya.
Purpose of the Role
This is a supervisory role and the Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing overall technical oversight, quality assurance and capacity building of the KMET ASRH programs, team, implementing partners and service providers. The post holder will be responsible for ensuring KMET’s activities, approaches and deliverables meet the highest standards in regard to quality, safeguarding, and risk mitigation in line with the Safire Program design and protocols, and always in the best interest of girls.
The Senior Technical Advisor will work closely with the Options team, particularly the Senior Quality of Care Technical Advisor (SQCTA), to drive continuous improvement of Safire services to girls while ensuring lessons and experiences are documented and shared across the consortium.
The specific duties that the Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for are:
- Program Management
- Contribute to the annual planning and reporting process by ensuring the production of quality well-though-out plans and reports.
- Participate in routine internal meetings with Safire consortium and implementing partners, and relevant external meetings with like-minded ASRH stakeholders.
- Perform/contribute as member of the Senior Management Team (SMT)
- In liaison with the Senior Management Team (SMT), support the implementation of KMET Strategic Plan, including aligning Safire’s sustainability plan within the wider goal of organizational growth. Support the Project Coordinator to identify, monitor and manage any risks to the attainment of program results, particularly those related to quality service provision.
- Technical Leadership
- Oversee all technical capacity building initiatives across the program, reviewing curricula, methods and tools, conducting field visits, addressing identified gaps and promoting systematic use of monitoring data to improve the quality of Safire’s service delivery approaches and interventions.
- STA will provide overall technical oversight and backstopping to the KMET Safire project team in the day to day implementation of the project activities to ensure adherence to standards and protocols. As part of quality assurance, work closely with Options’ SQCTA to develop, review, refine Safire program standards, protocols, tools and training materials.
- Lead in planning for and providing technical capacity building to project staff, CSO partners and vendors, through face-to-face and virtual sessions and on-site mentorship.
- Support the development and implementation of KMET ASRH technical strategy, particularly ensuring lessons from Safire are integrated into the strategy.
- In liaison with Options, support the implementation of the Safire sustainability strategy including KMET’s transition to a leading role in ASRH (including potential lead role in future iterations of Safire or similar program).
- In liaison with SMT and the project leads, identify opportunities for networking and resource mobilization towards sustainability of SAFIRE project
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Work with the MEL team to produce high quality data (both quantitative and qualitative) to inform the production of evidence to inform refinement of Safire approaches and future scale up.
- Participate in MEL meetings, country learning review meetings, program-wide learning summits, and relevant external forums (webinars, workshops, conferences etc.)
- Participate in the development of knowledge products drawing from Safire implementation experiences and lessons learnt.
- STA will be responsible for execution and oversight of the ASRH technical strategies including concept development by technical teams, quality assurance of concepts, proposal development, and technical engagement of external stakeholders/key influencers, and donors.
- Ensure that program strategies and approaches are informed by and aligned with the best available local and international evidence and best practices.
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Maintain a positive relationship with Safire partners and funders by ensuring all contractual obligations are met, requests are attended to in timely manners and deliverables are of high quality.
- As an expert in ASRH, support KMETs new business development initiatives including contributing to project proposal development.
- In collaboration with other Programs and departments, engage in advocacy and external relations with a wide range of stakeholders, including County Government, implementing partners, and internal stakeholders within KMET to achieve project and organizational deliverables.
- Master’s degree in public health, clinical, nursing, social services or related fields.
- Have in-depth knowledge in ASRH and relevant work experience of 15 years and above, with not less than 10 years in senior technical management roles.
- Must have 5 years of solid understanding and practical experience in FP/RH/MNCAH programming and rights-based approaches.
- Broad understanding of the health system in Kenya, including relevant ASRH policies, legal frameworks, regulations, and guidelines.
- Have demonstrable knowledge and experience in proposal development and project cycle management.
- Authentic individual with strong emotional intelligence, especially self-management.
- Strong technical writing skills and ability communicate effectively.
- A strong commitment to KMET’s mission and its sexual and reproductive health agenda.
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with donors, government officials, CSOs and private sector partners.
Kes. 300,000 per month inclusive of benefits
Applications quoting the position title with a detailed CV, contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor) should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before February 28, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KMET is an Equal Opportunity Employer